Free Graphics Software
Easy Image Editing for the Web
Simple and easy to use free graphics software is all you want in order to resize and rename your images for the web, particularly if you are new to building a website and are just learning how to tweak images.
Here's our shortlist of the best (and easiest!) available online.
Free Graphics Software
- Picmonkey (has replaced what used to be Picnik). Super easy to use, control over image quality (file size), as well as options to add funky stickers, groovy effects, and the ability to create collages.
Upgrade to Premium (for only $33 a year!) to access the full suite of tools and features.
- Snipshot- It all works online, you simply find the graphic on your computer, upload it and resize, tweak at your will. If you want to control the size of your image use the "Adjust' tool and type in either the height or width. By clicking on the the little 'chain link' it will resize the image in its current proportions.
The only drawback of this tool is that you do not have options for image quality (ie- compression) to ensure that your image is a nice small file size. Otherwise- too easy!!
- Faststone Image Viewer - A free image browser, converter and editor intended to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, and rotate images. Faststone does NOT provide the capability to compress images, but apart from that is a recommended, and simple to use piece of free software.
- GIMP - is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It is more complicated to use than the above two, but has a good little tutorial section here to help you with resizing and cropping images.
Other Image Editing Software - Paid
For slightly more advanced photo editing you can use any of the following programs, but may have to pay for them.
- GraphicConverter - 6.2.1 - For Mac users this software is comparable with Photoshop but at only a fraction of the cost. You can view, edit, and convert most image formats and all for $34.95!
- Microsoft Picture Manager is a recommended tool and comes free with some programs. Many people with MS Office don't even realize they have it installed on their pc. Look under Office/Office Tools, to see if you have it.
- Photoshop Elements - is a simplified version of Photoshop. You can use the free trial for 30-45 days, but to buy it is more than US$100, but much cheaper than Photoshop.
- Photoshop - The 'bees knees' for image manipulation, but there is lots to learn and it comes at a price.
To Anyhoodles Home from Free Graphics Software . More Small Business Tools and Articles